Silver Haired Legislature
The Kansas Silver Haired Legislature (SHL) is a unicameral legislature composed of 125 representatives. All are over 60 and are elected from their county residence. Wyandotte, Johnson, Shawnee and Sedgwick counties have five additional delegates. The legislature provides an educational experience in the political process and provides an opportunity to identify priority concerns of Kansas senior citizens. The SHL develops bills and resolutions which are presented to the Kansas Legislature and the Governor as recommendations for state policy.
To advocate for older adults and provide a voice for the older community at the state and federal level. Emphasis is on the following:
• To Educate – Provide information to the community about issues and steps to take to advocate for bills and resolutions.
• To Advocate - Actions of the SHL inform the public and the Kansas Legislature about concerns of the older adults in the community.
• To Involve - The SHL provides thousands of older adults a way to become involved at the local, state and federal level by encouraging them to advocate for issues meaningful to older adults.
The SHL is funded by the local Area Agency on Aging and donations from interested parties. Silver Haired Legislators serve at their time and expense to support SHL. Contributions are tax deductible and may be made payable to the "SHL Treasurer" and sent to the Central Plains Area Agency on Aging – 2622 W. Central, Wichita, KS 67203. Any Kansan aged 60 and over who is a registered voter may file for candidacy. The term of office is two years and elections take place every two years. Members may be re-elected.
Silver Haired Legislator elections are conducted by the Area Agencies on Aging across the state every two years. Candidate registration forms, petitions and filing instructions are available from any Area Agency on Aging. For individuals interested in filing in Sedgwick, Harvey or Butler Counties contact Monica Cissell at 316-660-5229.
• The SHL is to advocate for legislation introduced by the SHL.
• Testify at hearings on SHL legislation.
• Meet with older adults in their county/district on SHL legislation affecting the community 60 years of age and older.
Be an Advocate for Aging Issues!!!
To locate your state elected officials go www.kslegislature.org or call 1-800-432-3924.
Your donations are needed to help fund SHL’s advocacy efforts:
SHL representatives are volunteers and the cost of their advocacy efforts is funded through their own contributions, donations from local companies/organizations and private individuals. Donations are accepted to help fund advocacy efforts of this group including the annual conference for all SHL delegates, travel, accommodations and printing of brochures and other educational materials. For more information on how you can help contact Monica Cissell at 316-660-5229 or email at firstname.lastname@example.org.